Moses ELAM, farmer, P. O. Mulberry Grove. Among the substantial citizens of Bond County none are more highly respected than the above. He was born October 25,1821, in Rutherford County, N. C., and emigrated to Fayette County with his parents when a mere lad. Here he remained about fifteen years. December 23, 1841, he married Martha F. ELAM, who was born Jan. 12, 1827, a native of Virginia, daughter of Daniel ELAM and Mary GRAVES, who emigrated from Virginia to Maury County, Tenn., about the year 1828, where they remained until the year 1831, when they removed to Bond County, stopping near Greenville, but remained a short time, and located permanently in Fayette County, where they remained until their death. Their deaths occurred in 1862 and 1854 respectively. They raised a family of six children, four of whom are now living, of whom Thomas resides in Arkansas; Mary J., Mrs. Elisha MATTHEWS, of this county. Susan became the wife of William CHEESEMAN, of Henry County, Mo. After Mr. ELAM's marriage he remained in Fayette County three years, and then moved across the line into Mulberry Grove, and engaged in merchandising, continuing twelve years. October, 1856, he located on the farm he now owns, situated in Section 26, and has since been engaged in farming, and has been successful, having nearly six hundred acres of land, 320 here, and 212 in Fayette, and besides assisted his children in making a start in life. He has five children - Moses, Thomas E., Melvina, Jenkins and Richard, all residents of this county. Melvina married Rev. Thomas VANCE, of the Christian Church. The father of our subject was William ELAM, born and married in Virginia, and son of Alexander ELAM, a native of Virginia, and of English descent. The mother of our subject was Patience, daughter of Philip HURT, who removed from Virginia to North Carolina, where they remained sixteen years. Mr. ELAM is a member of the Christian Church.Edward ELAM II b 29 January 1765 Mecklenburg, VA m 7 Dec 1786 Mecklenburg, VA d 1811 Mecklenburg, VA is the father of Daniel Branch Elam. Edward married Martha SMITH b 1770 Lunenburg, VA d 13 Feb 1810 Charlotte, VA. There children are John, Susanna, Anderson S., Thomas Samuel, Edward, *Elizabeth, Daniel Branch, Sarah.
Edward ELAM I father of Edward Elam II. b 1733 Mecklenburg, VA m 1755 Mecklenburg, VA d 1811 Mecklenburg, VA . Married Jane UNK b 1740 VA d 27 Jan 1832 Rutherford, TN. Children: Robert, Daniel C., Samuel, *Edward II, John Barkley, Mary "Polly", Sarah, Rebecca, Elizabeth, Nancy, Andrew.
Martha Smith is the daughter of John SMITH b 1735 VA m 1754 VA d Fayette, IL ? Susannah UNK b 1741 VA d VA Children: Martha.
Ancestors of Daniel Branch ElamGeneration No. 1
1. Daniel Branch Elam, born April 14, 1802 in VA.; died February 12, 1863 in Fayette County IL.. He was the son of 2. Edward Elam Jr. and 3. Martha Smith. He married (1) Mary Nancy Ann Graves April 13, 1826 in Mecklinburg County VA.. She was born 1809 in VA., and died 1854 in Fayette County IL..
Generation No. 2
2. Edward Elam Jr., born January 29, 1765 in Mecklenburg, VA.; died 1811 in Mecklenburg, VA.. He was the son of 4. Edward Elam I and 5. Jane unknown. He married 3. Martha Smith December 07, 1786 in VA.
3. Martha Smith, born 1771 in Lunenberg, VA; died February 13, 1810 in Charlotte, VA. She was the daughter of 6. John Smith and 7. Susannah.
Children of Edward Jr. and Martha Smith are:
Generation No. 3
4. Edward Elam I, born 1733 in Mecklenburg, VA.; died 1811 in Mecklenburg, VA.. He was the son of 8. John Edward Elam and 9. Martha Dudley. He married 5. Jane unknown 1755 in Mecklenburg, VA..
5. Jane unknown, born 1740 in VA.; died January 27, 1832 in Rutherford Tn..
Child of Edward Elam and Jane unknown is:
6. John Smith, born 1735 in VA.; died in Fayette County ILL.. He married 7. Susannah.
7. Susannah, born 1741 in VA.; died in VA..
Child of John Smith and Susannah is:
Generation No. 4
8. John Edward Elam, born Abt. 1710 in VA.; died Abt. 1788 in Henrico, VA. He was the son of 16. John Elam and 17. Mary Lnu. He married 9. Martha Dudley.
9. Martha Dudley, born Abt. 1715 in VA.; died Bef. 1774 in VA..
Child of John Elam and Martha Dudley is:
Child of John Elam and Mary Elam is:
Generation No. 5
16. John Elam, born Bet. 1677 - 1688 in Henrico, VA; died Abt. 1761 in Henrico, VA. He was the son of 32. Martin Elam and 33. Frances Perrin. He married 17. Mary Lnu.
17. Mary Lnu
Child of John Elam and Mary Lnu is:
Generation No. 6
32. Martin Elam, born April 05, 1635 in Turnscoe, England; died March 07, 1694/95 in Henrico, VA. He was the son of 64. Thomas Elam and 65. Mary Shirecliffe. He married 33. Frances Perrin.
33. Frances Perrin, born 1650 in England; died Aft. 1700 in Henrico VA.
Child of Martin Elam and Frances Perrin is:
Generation No. 7
64. Thomas Elam, born 1600 in Thurscoe Parish Yorkshire England; died Unknown in Henrico VA. He was the son of 128. James Elam. He married 65. Mary Shirecliffe.
65. Mary Shirecliffe, born Abt. 1612 in Thurscoe Parish Yorkshire England; died Unknown. She was the daughter of 130. James Shirecliffe and 131. Alice.
Child of Thomas Elam and Mary Shirecliffe is:
Generation No. 8
128. James Elam, born Unknown; died Unknown.
Child of James Elam is:
130. James Shirecliffe, born Unknown in Yorkshire England; died Unknown. He married 131. Alice.
131. Alice, died Unknown.
Child of James Shirecliffe and Alice is: